Thursday, January 27, 2011

Illness forces Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Rocco Baldelli to retire - St. Petersburg Times

Illness forces Tampa Bay Rays outfielder Rocco Baldelli to retire - St. Petersburg Times:


'I don't anticipate ever playing baseball again. I'm retired. The paperwork will be filed,' Baldelli said Tuesday night. 'And you know what. The only time I feel like it's good to retire is when you're happy to retire. And I'm happy.'

Baldelli quickly became one of the most popular Rays after a blazing 2003 rookie season and a solid followup, but his career was repeatedly interrupted by a series of injuries and an unusual condition that sapped his energy and affected his muscles.
I'm glad he (a native Rhode Islander) got to play in Fenway as a member of the Red Sox, if only for a little while. I wish Rocco all the success in the world in his new front-office career. (Except when it comes to the Rays playing against his aforementioned former team.)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...