Sunday, November 14, 2010

This is why I wouldn't bicycle commute today, even if I could.

Bicyclist critically injured; driver faces DWI charge :: WRAL.com:
RALEIGH, N.C. — A Raleigh woman faces charges of driving while impaired after her car struck and critically injured a bicyclist early Sunday, police said ...

Walker and his bike were thrown 110 feet and landed on the pavement of the right side of the road, according to the wreck report. Thomas kept driving for 2,000 feet before making a u-turn and returning to the scene ...

Thomas ... was impaired by alcohol and talking on a cell phone when she hit Walker.
When I lived in Madison, WI, I biked 10 miles or so from an apartment off Capital Square out to an office park on the west side. I live too far from where I work now (RTP) in NC to even consider bicycling to work but, even if I had half as far to ride, I wouldn't. Less likely to have drunks on the road in the commuting hours, but I suspect lots of equally deadly cell phone usage. It's murder out there for bicyclists.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...