Friday, October 22, 2010

NC State Fair: Fuquay Perspective

NC State Fair Fuquay Elementary Art
Art from Fuquay Elementary
Went to the NC State Fair with the family on Thursday. Very impressive. I think my kids really enjoyed it as well. It's been years since I went to The Big E and this brought back a bunch of memories of strolling the midway, pigging out on fried dough and pizza, and those roach clips with bright colored feathers the Def Leppard kids liked so much. Also, several of the rides looked like the exact same machines I rode as a youth.

State Fair Fuquay Winner
Fuquay Sweater, by Sandra England
In a place that big, with that much going on, I like to have something I can look for so I'm not just wandering around pie-eyed. Makes it a bit of a game. So going through the exhibits for the prize-winning this-and-thats, I was keeping an eye out for entries from Fuquay-Varina. One downside of this approach is you wind up with pictures of stuff like a sweater (which I'm sure is a very fine sweater, but is still ... a sweater) just because it was knitted by someone from Fuquay. But, playing Find the F-V Stuff did make wandering down aisles of amateur art and photography a into a game where I could award myself mental badges like "Accomplishment Unlocked: Picture of a Truck by Fuquay Photographer."

I wish I'd charged my phone before going, I couldn't get examples of all the Fuquay stuff I saw, but I did get a couple. Including the sweater. Good on you, Ms. England, all folks from Fuquay who contributed to the Fair. There were some excellent photographs and paintings by artists whose names I didn't make note of that I'm bummed I can't recall to share.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...