Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Music Discovery Query: Music of the World, But Not World Music?

Is there an easy way to find out what college kids in different countries are listening to and get a hold of some of that music? I'm assuming that, as in the U.S., students at University get to hear the best bands playing on campus, have college radio stations that play the best of the up-and-coming bands; basically, that there's a rough analog to our indie music scene in other countries. I'm not concerned so much about Canada, Australia, and the U.K., I can find that stuff easily enough.  But what about in Paris at the Sorbonne?  (Actually, my rusty French should be good enough I ought to be able to work that one out for myself as well ...)  How about in Spain, what are the bookish youth in Barcelona listening to?  How about the beatniks in Bonn?  Undergrads in Uttar Predash? Hipsters in Helsinki? Juco transfers in Johannesburg?
Soul Patch Wearers of Seoul

I'm doing the google search thing so don't bother pelting me with lmgtfy links for "international indie music" or variations thereof, I got that covered. I'm curious if anyone has more direct sources, such as favorite radio stations overseas that post playlists online or if there are independent and/or college weekly newspapers that have reliable music reviews online?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...