Thursday, September 2, 2010

Containers and Their Drivers 2: "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone"

"(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone" entered my consciousness as a Monkees tune some time in the mid-70s when I discovered my Aunt Linda's music collection at my grandparent's house. I didn't know until researching this post that it was actually a cover itself. I was also surprised to see how few versions of this song have been recorded -- not sure why I thought there'd be more, honestly. Here's a selection of those versions culled from YouTube:
  • The Monkees (YouTube is littered with 'parodies' and horrible covers, couldn't find the original.)
  • The Sex Pistols (Interesting because it's the Sex Pistols.)
  • Minor Threat
  • PJ & Duncan (Sorry, it's a bit like a Rick Roll. They must be the Brit equivalents of the Jonas Bros.)

By the rules of the old Containers tapes, the original recording must be the first of the two versions, so I'm torn between The Monkees and Minor Threat for the cover. The Monkees were first in my mind but the Minor Threat version is an old standby of mine. Ultimately, it's got to be the Monkees.

Related: Containers and Their Drivers 1
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...