Saturday, September 25, 2010

"Appearances can be ... deceptive."

Burn After Reading (2008) - Flickchart

It was bugging me that this Coen Bros. movie was out there and I hadn't seen it yet, finally got a chance to watch it tonight. It came initially at #234 in my Flickchart. It was Ghost World that I first picked up over it as I was thrown random movies to rank against. I think as I continue to rank it, it'll climb a few more spots, at least.

Boy, they didn't do a very good job promoting this movie, as I remember. It looked a bunch more like Pitt and Clooney clowning it up in a comedy in the trailers than what it actually is: a movie nearly as dark as Fargo. (Isn't Frances McDormand great, by the way? She's as casually evil here as she was casually heroic in Fargo. Stupid evil, not a deliberate Bardem-like evil.)

A few matchups later, here's where it fits in my Coen Bros. rankings:

Intolerable Cruelty is number 8. Raising Arizona is in the Netflix Instant queue and due for a rewatch. I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters, back when was I working for the (abandoned) Showcase Cinemas in East Hartford.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...