Friday, August 4, 2000

Feeling Puzzled

Can anyone tell me why Brian Aldiss felt the need to re-write Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy? Aldiss is a fine writer, but this puzzles me.

Like Bone Daddy, I thought W's speech was unnervingly Democratic, from it's themes to it's references. Honestly, I hadn't listened to any of his previous campaign speeches so I didn't know what to expect, what I heard though certainly wasn't it. (Compassionate Conservatism, in the modern context you don't have to try very hard to equate that with some other popular oxymorons.) Some of his talk points sounded nice-n-friendly, but I guess I didn't believe he believed a single word he was saying. When he talked about that kid in prison all I could think of was Travolta in "Primary Colors" telling a stretcher to the folks at the adult literacy group. Even if I'm wrong and he did believe in what he was saying, wouldn't matter, it's all about the benjamins and he's bought and paid for, beholden to the deep pockets. I'm throwing in for the Nader / El Guapo ticket.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...